Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Gallery
football v football Empty

football v football

Go down 
+2
Confucioun
BlueJackeL
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BlueJackeL
Admin
BlueJackeL

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeSun 09 Jan 2011, 19:14

just a personal rant, after hearing an english guy make a snide comment about NFL (american football).

first off. i agree it prb should be called something else, since it has little to do with the foot hitting the ball. otherwise, y compare the two sports? they are totally different. it should be more compared towards rugby (which originally was named football by the english...).

common complaint is that there are too many breaks. think about it. these are 350-400lb guys running full speed and wrestling with each other. i equate it to picking up a 250lb bag of sand and sprinting full speed for 10secs. resting 30sec, then repeating 10 times. take a 8min break. do 15 sets in 2hrs. its like that worlds strongest man competition on a timer while ppl are hitting you with helmets.

others say that there isnt precision, just brute force. how about running away from multiple bears, and throwing a ball to someone 30yds away, who is also running around crazy. that person has to leap in the air, catch the ball (which can be slick with rain, or no visibility in a snowstorm), take a hit, and somehow land in bounds without bobbling the ball. this takes precision. even kicking field goals is hard. 50 yds out with swirling winds, ppl trying to hit you full force. many soccer goalies have tried to be an nfl kicker. none have been in the league for more than an yr.

with regards to soccer/football. its more fluid, but also very start stop. too many floppers are ruining the game. every time there is a flop, game stops. free kick awarded, guy jumps up and game restarts. worse is when the guy rolls around for 2-3mins, medics come out. he doesnt go off on the stretcher. jogs another 30sec. and then is back in perfect condiditon. its a game of start stop as well.

im not trying to diss soccer/football. we could write another long post about how americans dont see why soccer is great....
Back to top Go down
https://shadows.forummotion.com
Confucioun
Colonel
Colonel
Confucioun

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 19:45

BlueJackeL wrote:
just a personal rant, after hearing an english guy make a snide comment about NFL (american football).

first off. i agree it prb should be called something else, since it has little to do with the foot hitting the ball. otherwise, y compare the two sports? they are totally different. it should be more compared towards rugby (which originally was named football by the english...).

common complaint is that there are too many breaks. think about it. these are 350-400lb guys running full speed and wrestling with each other. i equate it to picking up a 250lb bag of sand and sprinting full speed for 10secs. resting 30sec, then repeating 10 times. take a 8min break. do 15 sets in 2hrs. its like that worlds strongest man competition on a timer while ppl are hitting you with helmets.

others say that there isnt precision, just brute force. how about running away from multiple bears, and throwing a ball to someone 30yds away, who is also running around crazy. that person has to leap in the air, catch the ball (which can be slick with rain, or no visibility in a snowstorm), take a hit, and somehow land in bounds without bobbling the ball. this takes precision. even kicking field goals is hard. 50 yds out with swirling winds, ppl trying to hit you full force. many soccer goalies have tried to be an nfl kicker. none have been in the league for more than an yr.

with regards to soccer/football. its more fluid, but also very start stop. too many floppers are ruining the game. every time there is a flop, game stops. free kick awarded, guy jumps up and game restarts. worse is when the guy rolls around for 2-3mins, medics come out. he doesnt go off on the stretcher. jogs another 30sec. and then is back in perfect condiditon. its a game of start stop as well.

im not trying to diss soccer/football. we could write another long post about how americans dont see why soccer is great....
i agre with you why dont americans dont like soccer as us guys in europe??
Back to top Go down
mattyla
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
mattyla

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeWed 12 Jan 2011, 21:59

"Subject: football v football" - I almost stopped reading there, but as I like you Blu.. tongue

I don't pretend to understand NFL and you all know i'm not a fan, but if it really was that good, surely the rest of the world would have taken to it?

The 'why is it called football' argument has been done to death. It's not important. NFL & Soccer are two completely different games, we just hate that the yanks call it football when clearly it's very little to do with your feet Very Happy

Rugby, however.. Very similar to NFL, except:

1) No artificial pitch. Running in mud is much harder on your muscles
2) Rugby players, perhaps not all as athletic as their NFL counterparts, but they hit you just as hard, and no protective padding
3) Not all the emphasis put on one player (the QB). But like I say, I don't pretend to understand NFL

So what's greater - rugby or NFL?
Back to top Go down
http://comparethemeerkat.com
thuder87
General
General
thuder87

Number of posts : 2173
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011, 19:28

OK, the thing is tha americans arent real creative when it comes to sports.....its the ball, football, basketball, volleyball etc etc etc...who cares what it called....as for rugby I certainly respect it, but for the most part they do not hit each other as hard, I dont see where people are dying from hits in rugby, they used to play helmetless in the NFL, but while the helmet is for protection it is also frequently used as a weapon.....as for your mud comment, sure your mucles work harder, you also go a lot slower, not just cause mud slows you down, but cause if you run at full speed, youll never keep your footing....

All I know is I would rather be hit by ANY rugby player in the world over the top 3 players on each NFL team.....an average linebacker in the NFL is 6'3'' over 250 lbs and runs a 40 yard in 4.4 seconds, Ray Lewis F ing killed someone and nothing happened to him!

The reason football fields are artificial (steelers arent, it notorious for being bad in bad weather cause PITT and high scholl games are held there) is to help the flow of the athlete, the NFL is of the opinion that people what to see scoring, so they have changed over the years to help the offense...better footing helps the offense, cause they know where they are going with the ball....

But you are right about the emphasis on player, and in my opinion that is hurting the NFL, I dont like....I like pounding the ball and playing defense, then again I am a Steeler fan.

All I know is its a pointless arguement, different sports, apples and oranges, I like to watch all 3 sports for their various skill sets, football is a lot more cerbral than people think, Bellicheck is referred to as a genius for a reason, soccer IS fun to watch, esp when you have a stake in it, despite the flops, and rugby.....well thats just good old fashion fun
Back to top Go down
Janie007
Major General
Major General
Janie007

Number of posts : 1463

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 21:43

..All I gotta say.. GO PACKERS! Smile
Back to top Go down
Confucioun
Colonel
Colonel
Confucioun

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 22:29

mattyla wrote:
1) No artificial pitch. Running in mud is much harder on your muscles

well i totaly dissagree with you,

1)i think soccer is harder because you constantly run for 90
2)the ball is kinda heavy and when it rains and there is mud it is very hard to controll the ball
3)you dont wear a protection thingy on your chest so when someone hits you with a bodycheck it might hurt
Back to top Go down
thuder87
General
General
thuder87

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan 2011, 17:31

confcion I think your confused my friend
Back to top Go down
Confucioun
Colonel
Colonel
Confucioun

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 03:51

thuder87 wrote:
just my opiniun i have playd football and quited after 2 months and now im playing soccer and soccer is harder for me if you ask me
Back to top Go down
TimeSlinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
TimeSlinger

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 18:04

Confucioun wrote:
thuder87 wrote:
just my opiniun i have playd football and quited after 2 months and now im playing soccer and soccer is harder for me if you ask me

thuder said you were confused, because you are arguing with matty, but you are agreeing with each other. matty & confucious I love you soccer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thuder87
General
General
thuder87

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeSun 23 Jan 2011, 19:33

TimeSlinger wrote:
Confucioun wrote:
thuder87 wrote:

thuder said you were confused, because you are arguing with matty, but you are agreeing with each other. matty & confucious I love you soccer Very Happy

Yep Basketball
Back to top Go down
mattyla
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
mattyla

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeMon 24 Jan 2011, 21:27

No, I love football.
Back to top Go down
http://comparethemeerkat.com
Confucioun
Colonel
Colonel
Confucioun

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitimeTue 25 Jan 2011, 10:31

thuder87 wrote:
TimeSlinger wrote:
Confucioun wrote:
thuder87 wrote:

Yep Basketball

ooh Well that is embarrassing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: football v football   football v football I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

football v football
Page 1 of 1